The Facial kit/ added extras part 1: skincare

Leave a Comment
As you will now know I am a little bit obsessive about skin care. I come from a long line of women with amazing skin and whilst my mothers attitude to make up has always been at best ambivalent she instilled in me a skin care regime.

Her dressing table has always been adorned with a tray set out with her daily skin care essentials, a tradition I have kept. However I seem to ave expanded upon the daily regime and I love nothing more than carrying out a weekly facial on a Sunday night to prep my skin for the week ahead. There is something satisfyingly relaxing about watching Homeland whilst a face mask permeates through your skin. 

A facial should be both a luxury and a functional part of looking after your skin; it also gives you an opportunity to check your skin for an changes which might cause a concern for instance moles that have changed or lumps that are not going away.

The facial prescription;


1: Light a scented candle.
Why you may ask? Well to be honest because there is something indulgent about scented candles and they set the mood. I love Jo Malone Wild Bluebell and Pomegranate Noir Home Candles but they are  a real indulgence. The White company also do densely scented candles my favourite being Verveine which an uplifting citrusy mix of verbena, lemon, orange, clary sage, lemongrass and ceder wood. One of my recent discoveries is the Marks and Spencer La Maison de Senteurs range which is inspired by French scents and reasonably priced at £5 for a candle with around 40hours of burning time. My favourite is La Maison De Senteurs Fleur d'Orangier candle, which is pictured above.

2: Brush or Double Cleanse
As always a facial should start with cleansing. I personally do not see the need for a different cleanser to your day to day cleanser but when I am carrying out a facial I double cleanse to be certain I have removed all dirt. If you are using a cleansing brush, double cleansing is probably unnecessary and may be more damaging to your skin but if you are using a polishing cloth or removing the product with cotton wool it held you feel extra cleansed.

A facial or cleansing brush is to my mind a added extra. Pretty much every magazine that does a feature on skincare seems to think that it is an essential part of a cleansing routine but most cleansing brushes are anything but cheap. I have come a cross a few cheaper alternatives such as the Boots No7 Beautiful Skin Cleansing Brush and a Soap and Glory Face massage mini mitt which can be used to give skin some gentler TLC.

3: Steaming
Using a muslin or flannel soaked in hot water, ring it out and whilst its still steaming place it over your face to steam and open your pores.

4: Face Mask
The type of mask you use should be guided by the type of skin you have. The majority of the time I will use a moisturising and plumping mask such as Temple Spa Quench or Sanctuary Spa Time Reversal Face Mask however if my skin is looking tired and dull I will use a peel off mask designed to dissolve the top layer of skin.

5: Toning
When I am indulging in a facial I like to use a proper toner rather than a mineral water facial mist such as Temple Spa Toning Essence which is for use by all skin types and can be used as a hydrating mist in its own right. Three squirts on a cotton pad is all you need for your whole face.

6: Serum
A serum is designed to give an added nutrient boost to your skin by sinking through the layers and feeding your skin. It's texture will be more watery and does not create the layer between your skin and the world that a moisturiser does. I tend to think of this as a booster shot to my skincare. I have tried a number of serums and my favourites are Temple Spa Be Strong and the more affordable Olay Anti-Wrinkle Instant Hydrating Serum.

7: Moisturiser
Moisturise your face in upward strokes going against gravity. Taking time to massage in the cream. As I often do a facial in the evening I will usually apply a thicker cream texture such as L'Occtaine's Angelica Hydrating cream or Temple Spa Repose which has the added benefit of aromatherapy to add your sleep. Eye cream should also be applied and if needed a separate neck cream. Moisturise lips with a balm such as This Works Turbo Balm.


SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig