The Tourist

Leave a Comment

Normally when I go to London the aim is to catch up with friends and family over long meals or alternatively a slightly fraught work trip. This time however M and I decided to masquerade as tourists, I grewing up in Greater London I was never really a tourist and M is a naturalised Londoner. We met up at the Tower of London, I was a little early so I explored the sun dial just outside Tower Hill tube station that looks over onto the Tower of London.




We then headed to the Tower itself. I have a vague memory of coming here when I was younger on a school trip and some of its history had been retained so I bored poor M with tales of the Peasants Revolt, Elizabeth I being shipped to the Tower of London by boat and various prisoners who met grisly ends.


We wandered through the walls


Passing the traitors gates

And reached the Crown Jewel display, sadly you can not take photos inside but it never ceases to amaze me how many gems the crowns are set with. The weight must of wearing a crown must be pretty intolerable.





Before heading to the spot where so many historical figures where beheaded. There is now a monument to those that lost their heads which is quite sobering.

We continued through to the recreated apartments which I got a little distracted at by feeling the different bedding and therefore only took a few snaps. For the record I am very glad we no longer sleep on hay.


There were some beautiful artefacts including this amazing chess piece made from Rock Crystal

However there is a very bloody history to the tower and there were memories on the walls of those who were imprisoned for treason and witchcraft.



It was a beautifully sunny spring day and we finished off with Saturday Brunch at Coq D'Argent at 1 Poultry Street sitting high above the city below. M went for the Cheese Plate and I selected the Saumon, a salmon and spinach eggs Benedict which we washed down with Proseco.

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig