The Witchery by Castle

Leave a Comment
Sometimes you have to go away to actually spend time with someone. Which is how I came to be in Edinburgh last weekend.

We arrived on Friday and headed to the Witchery by Castle for dinner and some one on one time. Located at the top of the Royal Mile just as you approach the Castle this resturaunt and hotel has a formidable reputation not only for it's atmosphere but also it's food. 


This is the sort of olde world decor that you expect from Edinburgh with heavily decorated wooden panels and thistle center peices topped off with lashings of candles. 


We elected to have the set menu and started off with Hendricks gin and tonics before the starters. 


I went for the Wild Garlic Veolute and smoked cauliflower. Which looked a little like a witches brew with small peaks of the smoked cauliflower peaking through. However it was a beautifully delicate combination of flavours without the overwhelming scent you normally associate with garlic. 


My fellow diner elected to have the scallop with broad beans and chorizo. Which came with a delicately wrapped lemon to keep the pips out. 


My main was a tender stem broccoli, baked goats cheese pine nut crumble. It was all very green whilst my dining partner's scallops and chicken was all very beige. The vegie option was inventive as options went and it's definitely something that would be good to try emulate when wanting to impress dinner guests but I was left feeling a little under whelmed. My partner in crime enjoyed his dish but stated that he could have done with some vegetables. 

You know how often resturaunts are let down by their deserts as if it was an after thought. Well not at the Witchery where I could happily have eaten three courses of desert. I went for the Glazed Lemon Tart and it was wonderful. I came with a smearing of dark bitter chocolate on the plate which worked beautifully with the texture of the tart and cream. And I demolished it all before a camera could come out whoops. 

Whilst my meal was enjoyable I think that it was the setting of the resturaunt that made it and I suspect that I went with too high expectations. The resturaunt seems to have a particularly good reputation for seafood and if you are an oyster fan this will be the place for you. Certainly the couple who were sat near us tucking into a platter of oysters and lobsters looked like they were in heaven. 

The set menu is £35 per person and you can make reservations online or just pop in and see if there is a table free. 
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig